As I reflect on the last couple of years, I’ve come to recognize how blessed we’ve been to have eaten at so many fantastic restaurants in just a couple of short years.
This year was primarily focused on Europe (2 trips), but we had a pleasant trip to Chicago for an extended 4th of July weekend.
I’m writing this in our hotel room at the Vdara, so I can’t go into too many details right now. We’re heading to Joël Robuchon at the Mansion (MGM Grand Casino Resort in Las Vegas) tonight, but here’s my quick top 10 best restaurants of 2010 (in no particular order):
1. Restaurant Aqua, Wolfsburg, Germany
2. Geranium 2, Copenhagen, Denmark
3. The Sportsman, Seasalter, UK
4. Alinea, Chicago, USA
5. Hof van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium
6. De Librije, Zwolle, The Netherlands
7. L’air Du Temps, Eghezee, Belgium
8. Auberge de la Grenouilliere, Montreuil, France
9. Sollerod Kro, Copenhagen, Denmark
10. Kiin Kiin, Copenhagen, Denmark
Honourable Mentions: The Fat Duck (Bray, UK), Ledoyen (Paris, France)*, Parkheuval (Rotterdam, Netherlands), Facil (Berlin, Germany), Restaurant AOC+Relae (Copenhagen, Denmark), Vie (Western Springs, USA), Harwood Arms (London, UK), Langdon Hall (Cambridge, Canada)
Missed restaurants: L’Arpege (cancelled due to fire), Chez l’Ami Jean (closed on arrival), In De Wulf (missed our ferry+car rental wouldn’t stay open), Schwa (stoves weren’t working that afternoon), Herman (we were staying at the Nimb, but couldn’t fit any more restaurants in)
* I was quite ill during the meal and could barely eat a bite of each dish. Unfortunate, especially with the hefty price tag.
Happy New Year – may you have a great 2011!